FAQ Campervan Hire
How Do I Pay?
- We require a 20% deposit via a secure credit card payment to confirm your booking. We then require the balance 35 days out from the start of your trip.
- We accept Visa & Master Card, but please note there is a 3% surcharge for all card transactions.
- Any extra insurance or items may be paid for online at the time of booking, or at our headquarters when you collect the campervan.
Please note you will need to have sufficient funds to freeze the bond amount when you collect the campervan, dependant on the insurance option you select. The funds will be frozen for the entire duration of your trip & will be released on return of the campervan.
What Driver’s Licenses Do You Accept?
We require all of our driving customers to:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Have a full & current drivers licence. Suspended or sanctioned licences are not accepted for any reason.
Licences from english speaking countries are accepted without any supporting documentation. These countries include: New Zealand, Australia, USA, United Kingdom, Ireland, & relevant parts of Canada.
If you are from a non english speaking country you will require the following to legally drive in New Zealand:
- Your drivers licence
- Either an international licence OR a certified English translation of your home licence. Transnational is recommended for certified translations in New Zealand, you can arrange this on the following link: www.driverlicencetranslation.co.nz
Please ensure you complete this prior to your arrival in New Zealand, as you will not be able to collect your campervan until we have your correct licence details. Please also ensure that you have spent some time understanding the local driving conditions & road rules, it can be tricky driving in a new environment. We want everyone to have an amazing driving experience in their Kinky Camper!
If you would like more information on driving safely in New Zealand please check Drive Safe NZ's website.
Interisland Ferry Crossing:
We offer a discount on all ferry crossings & can organise these for you.
Contact us to enquire & book your ferry.
What Is Freedom Camping In New Zealand?
Freedom camping (or free camping) is the practice of putting up tents, or parking up campervans in areas not designated for camping. It also typically means that you cannot access facilities such as clean drinking water, toilets (either flushing or long drop), & waste disposal facilities.
Travelling in a fully certified self-contained Kinky Camper allows you the freedom to travel as you please. Our Campers are fitted out with a chemical toilet so you can get off the beaten track.
As an alternative we recommend a week long DOC Campsite Pass to keep the cost of using official campsite's down.
For more information check out this link:
Things To Do Before Getting Your Campervan:
- If you would like an airport pickup please confirm your flight arrival details with us in writting, & ensure that you have received confirmation. Please also note we charge by calendar day, so if you are arriving in the evening you may wish to book a hostel or backpackers & collect your van early the next morning. Please let us know in writing if you need to be collected from another location.
- Please ensure you have confirmed your licence is valid (as per above).
- Please ensure your credit card has enough funds available to pay for any insurances or bonds.
- Please make sure you have taken some time to learn about driving in New Zealand, you will find some valuable information on our driving in NZ information page
Can I Pick Up My Campervan Early Or After Hours?
You can only collect your vehicle during our opening hours. If your flight is outside these hours please contact us & we'll see what we can arrange :)
What Is The Minimum Hire For Most Roadtrips
Our minimum hires can range from 5 days to 14+ days, depending on seasonal demand. For most of the year we tend to have minimum hire periods because of the peak & off peak seasons. You should let our staff know your itinerary when collecting your campervan, so that we can work out what suits your itinerary time frame best.
Anything Else I Need To Know?
We have more information about rental agreement in our general terms & conditions.